Livin El Sueno

.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Content

"When we're not at peace, when we aren't content, when we aren't in a good place, our radar gets turned on. We're looking. Searching. And we're sensory creatures, so it won't be long before something, or somebody, catches our attention...

And it always revolves around the "if," doesn't it? If I just...

The "if" means that we have become attached to the idea that we are missing something and that we can be satisfied by whatever it is we have in our sight. There's a hole, a space, a gap, and we're on the search. And we may not even realize it. When we are in the right place, the right space--content and at peace, we aren't on the search, and our radar gets turned off...

There is so much to enjoy and yet we fixate on something we don't have...

This is why gratitude is so central to the life God made us for. Until we can center ourselves on what we do have, on what God has given us, on the life we do get to live, we'll constantly be looking for another life..."

(Excerpts from Rob Bell's "Sex God," Chapter 4.)

My trip is coming to a close here really soon, and I've been reflecting on what this last month and a half has been like. Most of my blogs have been humorous (or at least there was some attempt...whether or not the jokes landed is another story), so this one might be throwing you off a bit. But enough qualifiers...there were multiple times where I was disappointed by the expectations that I had going into this trip that weren't fulfilled...times that I wished things were different than they turned out to be. I didn't realize how hard it would be for me to be here without any friends (especially because my only other experience here was with 8 friends), and that therefore I wouldn't really get to travel or have as many adventures as I thought, and that, unless I develop some crazy skills in the next 4 days, I will not be leaving a pro surfer. But as I look back, I realize that this time was exactly what I needed and I'm grateful. I'm grateful for the opportunity to have so much quality time with my family (the ones that were here at least) and especially the little ones, for a chance to be still and read and be away from all the distractions, for the opportunity to be surrounded by God's beautiful creation- the ocean and the coastline here, for the people that I've met and had the chance to take part in their culture and language, and for the reminder that God is good and that he is faithful to meet us where we're at...even if that means taking us to a foreign country.

I'm looking forward to returning and to be home to welcome my soon-to-be new nephew into the world, but I will be sad to leave. I'm sure I'll write a couple more posts before I leave on Tuesday, but thanks for reading...I've really enjoyed having this blog and hope you've enjoyed reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment