Livin El Sueno

.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Last Blog...

I've made a huge mistake... I was expecting culture shock, but completely overlooked climate shock. The S.A.D.(Seasonal Affective Disorder)ness is setting in...looking into purchasing some light therapy remedies asap.

Got up early Tuesday morning to watch the sunset, reflect on my time there, and say goodbye to the beauty that is Playa El Zonte. Seriously...you should all come and visit sometime. So peaceful. Eliana insisted upon driving to the airport with her dad to see me off...she said she couldn't sleep all night because she didn't want us to leave without her. It's about an hour ride to the airport, and she talks incessantly, but how could we say no? Once at the airport, she gave me her plastic Snow White ring as a parting gift and I said my final goodbyes.

Having changed all my information to "Rebecca" and leaving behind my surfboard, I was prepared to take on any Salvadorian "Millys" that American Airlines might throw my way...but they got wise and decided not to mess this time. That's right, AA...you better recognize. However, I did come very close to taking out a couple of women at the security check. I have very little patience for people that don't wait their turn...so I guess I don't have patience for people without patience. I should have been accustomed to this by now, since disregarding lines is standard mode of operation here, but these women cut in front of the whole line and literally pushed my plastic bin off the conveyor belt to put their suitcases through the x-ray machine first. Due to the sheer ridiculousness of this act, it took a while for the reality of the situation to set in...that actually just happened. But, it's probably a good thing that my reaction time was delayed by disbelief...otherwise I might have had to Buz-rage (that's a Peterson-ism...Buz is one of my many nicknames, and this refers to the way I defended myself as the youngest of 4 siblings...the action basically consists of just running towards the antagonist with flailing arms and crazy facial expressions...it only works if you commit 100% to sacrificing your body for the cause)on them...which usually leads to punishment, and I'm sure the Salvadorian airport security would be harsher than my parents. So, instead I attempted to show my disapproval with dirty looks...no where near as satisfying.

After making it through the 3 different security check points and a full pat down...they are not messing around...I boarded the plane and unfortunately had to bypass the Business Class section this time. No more riding in style. That was a very short-lived elevation in class. However, I did sit next to and around some nice folks who were very intrigued by all my technology and who watched "Gladiator" with me on my computer, even though they couldn't hear the dialogue...which they wouldn't have understood even if they could. I tried putting on Spanish subtitles for them, but the DVD only provided English subtitles...so I put those on anyway...figured it was better than nothing. Besides, half the time there is no dialogue, just gruesome battle scenes. Seriously, people were watching from the seats behind me, next to me and across from me. It was a hit. My gum was also I hit. I went through 2 packs of gum sharing with everyone around me.

After experiencing the most turbulence ever during the last hour and a half of the flight...we touched down at LAX. Back on US soil. I exited the plane and soon noticed a man walking next to me at the same exact pace and could feel him looking up at me on occasion. I figured it was one of my seat neighbors on the plane, so I looked up and awkwardly caught his eyes. Nope...didn't know him. But he proceeded to ask me lots of questions about my trip and tell me about his. He got kind of close, and for a second I thought he might be trying to put something illegal in my bag before we got to customs. I would be such an easy target for that...way too unassuming. Just to be on the safe side, I switched my purse to my right arm and attempted to gain some distance on him.

Apparently he didn't smuggle anything in my purse, because I made it through customs...but not without some serious questioning and many looks of suspicion. El Salvador is not a super common tourist destination...and I DO look pretty dangerous. Although, I think they should have spent more time worrying about the luggage that people shrink wrapped and less about the young blonde girl. Really...what's that all about? I saw people checking their bags like that in San Salvador and was very confused. Did they find a loophole for smuggling illegal goods? Don't lock your suitcases...but hundreds of layers of shrink wrap...totally regulation. Good to know. Next time I'll bring back some cigars and fuegos artificiales aka luces de chino in a shrink wrapped suitcase.

People were looking at me strange as I exited the airport into the pouring rain in a t-shirt and flip flops...wasn't really prepared for the drastic weather change. My cousin, Lindsay, picked me up and I promised her I'd treat her lunch for making the drive. So, she chose Olive Garden. At that point, any American restaurant chain sounded good to me. But, the highlight of the lunch was going to the bathroom, then looking for the trashcan to throw my toilet paper into, and realizing there wasn't one because I can now put my toilet paper in the toilet again. WOO HOO! Oh, the small things.

So...I'm home and I'm attempting to avoid gaining 50 lbs trying to eat all the different foods I've been deprived of. I also already went and saw Sherlock Holmes and rented about 5 movies from Blockbuster to catch up. First things first. Now it's back to reality...school, my internship and normal life. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Very good blog, Becky. So glad you made it home safely. Sorry about the weather. I tried to order you some nice warm stuff but He said no - there was some back orders on solving some drought or something silly like that. lol. Can't wait to see you and hear about your time in El Salvador. Went to see "Sherlock" with Jessica-we loved it-how about you? xx
    Love Linda O

    ReplyDelete